Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Big Mascara Test


They all promise amazing results - but which ones actually work?
A quick glance in my make up bag highlights a recent obsession with mascara.  I always used to have just one favourite – Lancome’s Hypnose, but then I soon realised that Max Factor’s 2000 Calorie had exactly the same effect for half the price, so that was my staple until very recently.
I branched out when I read all the hype about Benefit’s They’re Real and snaffled myself a tube from Boots and it all snowballed from there so currently I have quite a few mascaras on the go, here’s what I think of them:

Max Factor 2000 Calorie (£7.99)
This is still my favourite, it claims to make give your lashes 300% more volume, not sure how they calculate that, but it does make them noticeably thicker and longer. It’s also totally smudge proof and doesn’t flake at all. It stays on all day and there’s always plenty left to remove at night. 9/10

Benefit They’re Real (£19.50)
Claims to lengthen, curl, volumise, lift and separate lashes and it is pretty good. I love the brush that ensures clump free application, but find that it doesn’t go on as thickly as the Max Factor mascara. You need a good two coats to make lashes look thicker. It’s also smudge proof but lasts a bit too well. I barely use it because I find it impossible to remove at the end of the day and have to use a waterproof mascara eye remover to get it off as well as my usual cleanser. 7/10

Maybelline The Falsies Volum’ Express Black Drama (£7.99)
This has a ridiculously long name and claims to give a dramatic false lash effect – it doesn’t. The wand is quite feathery and bends easily to catch all the lashes on application. The finished result is ok, but it flakes really badly and the wand gets clumped up very easily. Not sure I’d buy this again. 5/10

False Lash Flutter: The mascara with the most bizarre wand I've ever seen, have a look in real life and see why!

L’Oreal False Lash Flutter (£10.99)
Claims to extend lashes towards the outer eye without clumps, which it does. The wand is like nothing I’ve ever seen before and is plastic, so doesn’t clump. It took a few goes to get the hang of it though, but actually it’s pretty good at catching every lash and does have an impressive result. The only thing that puts me off is that the product smells very strongly of honey and I hate honey. I had to ditch it when I was suffering with a touch of morning sickness as it made me want to yack. 7/10

Avon SuperShock (I got this free with an Avon order, but it retails at £5.00)
For the price this mascara is brilliant. It claims to thicken your lashes for maximum volume and it does what it says on the tube, it doesn’t flake but it must rub off quite a bit during the day as there’s usually only a scant but to remove in the evening. I also find the wand a little on the chunky side and this makes it difficult to grab the maximum amount of lashes. However, for a fiver I think it’s fab. 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment